Thursday, June 12, 2014

Potty Update

My little Hunny Bunny is potty trained! Four days ago he said "I have to go potty" and sat right down and did his business. He's been going ever since. It was liked something just clicked. Most of the time he doesn't even tell us, he just goes over and gets it done. I knew he could do it, just wasn't sure how long it would take. So what was it that worked, you are wondering?

  1. Sticker Chart. Grandma bought him a big pack of Cars stickers. We put up a piece of poster board and told him that every time he goes on the potty he can have a sticker.  It has really motivated him. "Can I have a sticker?" he asks, before he can even pull up his underwear. 

  2. Public Potties. When I was a kid, my mom called me "The Bathroom Child" because every time we went somewhere I had to check out the bathroom. I don't know why. Maybe I have a fear of needing to go and not having a bathroom to use. I may or may not have nightmares involving that. Anyway, when we went out, I put the kid in a Pull Up, but would still ask if he needed to use the potty. He did a great job trying out toilets at Buffalo Wild Wings, On the Border, and at the baseball game. Maybe it helped him see how important it is to wear underwear and that everybody goes on the potty. Or maybe it helped him feel like a big boy on such a big toilet. 
  3. Nermina. The evening he started going potty was after he spent the day with Nermina. She is the Pre-K teacher at my school and a great friend. Not sure what she did, but I'm sure she had something to do with it. She is so good with him and I just can't say enough amazing things about her!
  4. Perseverance. We just kept trying. If I didn't have the time off I don't know what I would do. I suppose the babysitter would potty-train our child. I'm sure that's what a lot of families have to do. Or maybe some kids can accomplish it over a weekend. I feel truly blessed that I get this time with my little guy. He's sitting on the potty right now as I type this. All by himself! 
-Me and my Hunny Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment